02 May 2010

moonshine and m79 grenades and living in hotels

SINGAPORE SUX! I'm in the frequent flyer club at singapore changi airport waiting for my flight outta here. I'm so glad to be leaving Singapore- I think they planned the city based on an Orwellian dystopia. Its the least fun, least cultured, most regulated place in the world and I've been here like 20 times and never been psyched on it, except for some of the people. I guess the only way to explain all the people I like that have lived here is that they're the result of reacting against this place. The architecture is pretty amazing too actually. Anyway, I came out with Xerxes, aka 'Berserxes', and Erika Kurihara to Singapore fashion week to screen a film and present a book I made for this label they've been consulting on in Bangkok called 'nsha atelier'.  Bangkok is my favorite city in Asia and Erika and Xerxes are possibly the funnest people in the world so we had a pretty amazing time out there but it was a lotta work  and a lotta sam song and not as much sleep as I had hoped for.

Thailand's got a pretty fucked-up image, but there are a LOT of cool motherfuckers out there that inspired us and I wanted to avoid the sex worker/poverty cliches and focus on some of the things that I think are really tight about Bangkok- the people for one and also how there is this really modern metropolis in the middle of a tropical marsh (it was built as the capital there so invading  armies would have difficulty advancing troops). Its a wild mixture of nature and modernity.

ANyway gotta go...

Check out the film...


And the art book...


go to http://nsha.com/ to see the collection. Erika is an amazing stylist (she used to be fashion editor at i-D) and she does a lot of rad design consultancy. We  shot the lookbook in a shack in 40 degree heat while political protesters were launching grenades in the neighborhood. it was fucking epic!!!